Many artists try to grow their business or overcome problems by putting in more hours and working harder. Crazy, right? A better way to grow is to know when it’s time to make changes and find solutions that will move you forward.
The need for change can happen at any time and for any reason. Here are three (of many) indicators that it's time for change:
1. Your income is slowly and continually dropping. We all experience slower periods throughout the year, however, if you are on a continual downward spiral, it is a good idea to re-evaluate what you are doing and pinpoint the cause for drop in sales.
2. Other artists (competitors) you didn't think twice about are surpassing you. When other artists are selling like crazy, obtaining great gallery representation, and are suddenly getting more recognition than you are, you best regroup. Research what it is that your competition is doing better. Perhaps using their tactics while putting your own spin on them will help your business turn around.
3. Past and potential art collectors do not contact you. If you haven't kept in contact with your collectors then you are out of sight and therefore out of mind. Think about reconnecting with collectors and all of the ways you can entice new ones.
Find the right solutions. It's time to formulate a solid plan. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to help you make the appropriate changes:
- What are the number one needs/wants of my collectors?
- Why is my business experiencing slow growth and/or declining sales?
- Can I make needed changes with my current resources?